Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 21

Kara has been keeping the blog posted single handedly, so I thought I would relieve her and talk about some of the things that have been going on.
Things are going great here in Copan.  School is going good and I think we are learning alot.  I had to go to the dentist last Friday.  I have never been a fan of the dentist, so needless to say I wasn't thrilled about going to one in Honduras.  He is a nice man who speaks enough broken English to inform me that I may need a root canal.  I have never had any major dental work done (well there was this one time... porcelin tooth) so the thought of a root canal by a fellow Honduranian is a little scary.  I go tomorrow at 6:00p.m. for the preparation work.  After he looks around he will determine if it needs a root canal or just a filling.  The main reason I wanted to tell you guys about my upcoming adventure is because of what we talked about at the end of my visit... the price!  He gave me three prices.  One for the root canal, one for a filling, and the last for extraction (if I wanted the easy way out).  The root canal costs 2,500 lempiras, the filling costs 400 lempiras, and the extraction costs 300.  In dollars that is roughly $132 for the root canal, $21 for the filling, and $16 for the extraction.  I know what you may be thinking and no he does not practice dentistry out of the trunk of his car.  
On a more serious note, God demonstrated His protection and Goodness to us yesterday. Elias and I were playing outside, as we normally do, waiting for Kara to get home from school.  I was looking over some vocab cards when all of a sudden Elias came running around from the side of the house screaming. He was using both hands to hit at his back desperately trying to get something off.  He was getting stung by wasps.  He had never been stung before yesterday and he got stung 6 times on his back.  We thank God for His protection and that Elias didn't have any allergic reactions.
Kara and I want to thank you for your prayers and support.  We ask that you would continue to pray for our Spanish.  It is coming along well because of God's grace and your prayers.  Also please continue to pray for Kara's teacher.
We love you guys and miss you.
George

"When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son or man that You visit him?"  Psalm 8:3-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment